Sunday, February 28

Update on Lent (Ash Wednesday + 12)

Overall, I feel that this media fast has been going really well. The TV isn't even plugged in; I hardly watched it anyway. The most I watched was the Weather Channel, Biggest Loser, and sometimes a free On-Demand movie. We don't even have a DVD player anymore, so I borrowed my cousin's PS2 as a DVD player. Listening to nonsecular music has been relatively easy. I've spent a few dollars on some new songs. "Revelation Song" sung by Kari Jobe and "How He Loves" by David Crowder are probably my new favorites.

The Internet facet of it isn't too bad, either. I definitely spend less time online. I check my e-mail, the weather, our bank account and pay bills online (the only bill I pay with check is rent, and that's only because there is not an online feature). I have, of course, been blogging. I've taken some time to look back at previous blogs, even to as far back as five years ago. I have checked Facebook and Army Wives Forums more than once; however, I was only on there for no more than five minutes at a time.

So, how have I benefitted from this? I have had more time to devote to study... if I want to get all my studies done I kind of have to sacrifice other things. I haven't been as concerned about petty things, or been thinking about those "friends" you have on Facebook and their pointless status updates. I have felt better about myself without constantly comparing.

I have also been using our Internet connection to talk to Aaron via Skype video chat. Technology has come such a long way. I love being able to see and talk at the same time. Sometimes I am marvelled that the person I'm looking at is my husband and he loves me with as unconditional a love as you can find on this earth. We have also been doing a Bible study, and using Skype has facilitated more discussion and it's just easier to not hold a phone and try to write and read at the same time.

I probably don't get any more sleep than I did. I average about seven hours per night, which seems to be the minimum if I want optimum performance the next day.

I guess I feel overall I have a closer relationship with the Lord and definitely do more critical thinking about things in general. I have received some answers to prayer and new things about which to pray have been revealed. Poor and sinful internal attitudes have also been revealed.. we're working on it.

The next three months are absolutely crucial in our life. I feel that Lent will be a springboard for whatever preparation is left before we move.

The following passage from Philippians has been running through my mind nearly every day...


Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

And, I think about the five principles from my current Beth Moore study, Believing God:
1- God is who He says He is.
2- God can do what He says He can do.
3- I am who God says I am.
4- I can do all things through Christ.
5- God's Word is alive and active in me.

The verses we've been memorizing in our study (Megan and I) are as follows:

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved and delivered Himself up for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Indeed, while following the way of your judgments, O Lord, we have waited for you eagerly; your name, even your memory [renown], is the desire of our souls." (Isaiah 26:8)

(I love how in the NASB the pronouns are usually capitalized!)

Looking back as I proofread this post, I realized that a fast should be a challenging commitment... I'm not sure this is too challenging quite yet. I feel that the most challenging thing for me throughout the next 28 days will be the prayer component.

No comments:

Post a Comment