Tuesday, February 16

Lenten offerings

I have observed Lent since I was young. It's not something that all Christians are familiar with.. beginning with Ash Wednesday, it's the season in the Christian church during which people fast something until Easter (40 days) to remember Jesus' trying in the desert. When I was little, it was about fasting soda or sweets. Well, now that I'm older I have different idols to lay down.

I will be doing the book A Call to Die with my friend Megan during this time and it requires at least an hour a day for meditation, prayer and study. I have decided to fast from most of the Internet (Facebook, my Army wives forum, other blogs), TV, secular literature and secular music. Of course, I am not saying that any of these things are bad in and of themselves, but I could better spend my time studying the Word and devoting myself to prayer.

Food for me is not an effective fast unless it's a raw food fast or a  liquid fast. I don't eat out a lot, eat a ton of sweets or drink a lot of soda. I feel like that would be more legalistic for me.

I am also on an endeavor to become familiar with the Greek language. Coincidentally (or not, haha) a colleague is taking a Greek class for her Master's degree and today she came into my room during my prep to show me a little bit about the alphabet. She gave me a laminated handout of the alphabet and flash cards of the letters.

Are you fasting anything for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment