Thursday, May 13

Seventy times seven.

In the morning when I eat a hurried breakfast I try to also nibble on God's Word. I will admit that I've been lax in this lately; I really have no reason for it besides the fact that I am putting other things before study and prayer. I really ought not to do that considering not only the fact that I have some huge changes on the horizon, but just that I need to spend time with the Lord!

Thankfully God is gracious and speaks to me even in the hurried times. Matthew 18 was on my heart the other morning, and for good reason. Here are the verses 21-35, quoted in the NASB:

 21Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?"
 22Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
 23"For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves.
 24"When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him.
 25"But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made.
 26"So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, 'Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.'
 27"And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt.
 28"But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, 'Pay back what you owe.'
 29"So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, 'Have patience with me and I will repay you.'
 30"But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed.
 31"So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened.
 32"Then summoning him, his lord said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.
 33'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?'
 34"And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.
 35"My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."

Jesus was truly an incredible teacher. Anyone would want a teacher who relates the subject matter to real-life issues in order to promote understanding (how's that for fluent "education-ese"? haha). Here, he used an example of money. We all can relate to money. And if not money, then having possessions of some sort.

When I first read this, I didn't think it was fair that the slave got off so easily.. his debt was forgiven when he really didn't deserve it. But then I realized that the king didn't forgive the debt of his slave for no reason.. God forgives our debts so then we can, out of gratefulness and compassion, forgive our debtors. Is that not what the Lord's Prayer states, regardless of whether you use "debt" or "transgression"? (And actually both words mean something different in the Greek.. but all in all it's an offense against you.) Jesus became our sin on the cross and as sinful beings we surely didn't get what was coming to us.

I have on a sticky note in my Bible, "We are forgiven - let's act like it!" So much easier said than done.

I will tell you that I do not have compassion all the time for my debtors.. every morning on my way to work I pray to have compassion for those who offend me.. and in doing so I find that of course the Lord is faithful to bestow that upon me!

I am then able to be more loving, accepting and helpful toward people, whether it be my immediate family, my friends or even my husband.

I encourage you to have compassion on your brother (or mom, or friend). Instead of being angry, pray. Instead of being jealous, pray. Instead of harboring bitterness and resentment, pray. As Beth Moore has said, and she's only quoting the Bible in a way, "He did not set us up for defeat!"

No comments:

Post a Comment